There are many daily flights from the largest towns and cities in Norway to the closest airport, Ålesund International Airport.
There are daily express bus departures from Oslo, Trondheim and Bergen. In combination with local bus routes from Ålesund or Stryn they will bring you to Geiranger.
- From Oslo: Take route NX 146 to Stryn (approx. 9-10 hours). Change to local bus (route 250) at Stryn for Hellesylt/Stranda/Ålesund. During the period May 1st - October 31st there are daily ferry connections between Hellesylt and Geiranger (65 minutes). During other periods, take the bus (route 250) to Ålesund and take local bus from Ålesund to Geiranger (route 211).
- From Bergen: Take route NW 430 or 431 (approx. 9-10 hours). Change to local bus either in Ålesund (route 211) or Stryn (route 250) for Geiranger. From Stryn, take the same bus as described above from Oslo.
- From Trondheim: Take route 950 to Molde. Change to route 100 Molde - Ålesund. Find your route here (site only in Norwegian) (approx. 8-9 hours). From Ålesund or Sjøholt take local route 211 to Geiranger. During the period May 1st - October 31st, the local route 250 from Ålesund to Hellesylt in combination with the ferry from Hellesylt to Geiranger is also possible.
- From Ålesund: All year - route 211 - Ålesund - Sjøholt - Linge (ferry to)-Eidsdal - Geiranger (winter and summer schedule) May until October: route 250 - Ålesund to Hellesylt and ferry (65 minutes) from Hellesylt to Geiranger also is possible. Booking here.
- From Åndalsnes: All year - route 681 - Åndalsnes to Sjøholt (1 hours before Ålesund) - at Sjøholt change bus to route 211 for Geiranger. Mid June until mid August: route 220 - Åndalsnes - Trollstigen - Valldal - Eidsdal - Geiranger also is possible. Booking here
There are daily train departures from Oslo (approx. 5,5 hours) and from Trondheim (approx 4-5 hours) to Åndalsnes, which is the closest railway station. Please see nsb.no for prices and timetables.
From Åndalsnes there are connections by bus to Ålesund and Sjøholt all year round, and over the Trollstigen Mountain Road (road no. 63) to Valldal and Geiranger in the summer (June 26th to August 20th).
During the summer (June 1st - August 31st), you can take the northbound Hurtigruten (the Norwegian Coastal Voyage) from Bergen to Geiranger. The rest of the year Hurtigruten does not enter Geiranger, but stops in Ålesund. From there, catch a bus to Geiranger. See the bus schedule from Ålesund here (page only in Norwegian) or check out the roundtrips from Ålesund to Geiranger here.
Roads open all-year
- Oslo Airport - Geiranger via Lillehammer - Dombås - Åndalsnes - Trollstigen - Valldal: approx. 7 hours, 490 km. The Trollstigen road is part of Geiranger-Trollstigen National Tourist Route and is a spectacular road.
- Oslo Airport - Geiranger via Lillehammer - Lom - Geiranger mountain road (road no. 63): approx. 6 hours, 410 km.
- May 1st - October 31st: there is a ferry route between Hellesylt and Geiranger (65 min).
- Trondheim Airport - Geiranger via Åndalsnes - Trollstigen road - Valldal: approx 6,5 hours, 410 km.