The long and stunning beach Borestranden is a popular recreational area amongst the locals. On warm summer days, the beach is filled with guests sunbathing and swimming. You should, however, be aware of the fact that the undercurrents here can be extremely strong, so make sure you are careful while swimming. Look also well after your little ones playing in the water. Beach life here is nice all year, a walk on the beach in winter can be refreshing and enjoyable. This beach is the only one along the Jæren coastline where there's a hotel and a campsite.
Surfing and watersports
Borestranden is one of the best surf beaches in Norway. It is also one of the few Jæren beaches where kiting is allowed. You can surf all year, and the summer is particularly nice for beginners as it tends to be less windy with smaller waves in summer. For the more experienced surfers, the conditions in autumn and winter might be more ideal. Do note, however, that it's forbidden to surf, windsurf and kite on bird protected beaches between 1 October and 31 March. Kiting is furthermore only permitted on the following beaches: Sola, Hellestø, Byberg, Bore and Brusand. See information on the protected area.
Recreational rules for the Jæren beaches
- It's forbidden to drive on the beach with a motorised vehicle
- In the bird protected areas you must not disturb birdlife (surfing, windsurfing, kiting and dog-walking)
- Surfing, windsurfing and kiting are forbidden activities in the bird protected areas from 1 October to 31 March
- Horseback riding, biking, tenting and camping in the sand dunes are forbidden
- Do not walk on cultured land in the growth season
- Do not put up a tent closer than 150 metres from a house or cabin. Approval from the landowner is required if you camp for more than two days
- There is a general campfire ban from 15 April to 15 September
- You must keep dogs on a lead where animals are grazing.
- Flying drones is forbidden in the entire protected area
- Large events at the beach are not allowed unless you've obtained a dispensation