Ole Bull's charismatic personality and musical excellence had a great influence on the contemporary artists. He spent his summers relaxing on Lysøen, and often invited fellow artists and musicians. The beautiful and extraordinary villa on Lysøen (the Island of Light) was built as a summer residence for the Norwegian violin-virtouso Ole Bull (1810-1880) in 1873. 

The new museum shuttle boat Ole Bull runs between Lysøen and Buena Pier. Ole Bull is nothing less than Norway's first electric museum boat. It has toilet facilities and is wheelchair accessible. Ole Bull also had created some 13 km of pathways, to provide his guests - and now you - with leisurely strolls through the lovely scenery of Lysøen. He died on the island in 1880. In 1973, his granddaughter Mrs. Sylvea Bull Curtis of Conneticut, donated the villa and all its contents to the society for The Preservation of Norwegian Ancient Monuments. Café for light refreshments.

 

 

Source: Visit Bergen

Contact

Address:
  • Lysøen
  • 5215 Lysekloster
Phone:
56 30 90 77
Email:
mail@lysoen.no
Website:
www.lysoen.no

Where is Lysøen Island, and Ole Bull's Villa - closed in 2021?