The Sognefjord is the longest fjord in Norway where fjord villages such as Skjolden, Luster and Jostedal are located in the northwest of the Sognefjord, Årdal and Lærdal lies in the northeast, Aurland, Flåm and Vik in the south. In the middle of the Sognefjord you can visit Sogndal, Kaupanger and Fjærland, and in the west you can visit Balestrand and Høyanger.
Here you can read more about the hiking buses and fjord cruises on the Sognefjord
With public transport
There are daily buses from both Oslo and Bergen to the fjord villages by the Sognefjord, over beautiful mountain passes or down by idyllic little villages by the fjord. If you wish to take the bus, you can find bus routes on Vy or Skyss
By express boat
From April to September there is a daily express boat from Bergen to Flåm, and the rest of the year it goes from Bergen to Sogndal.
The airport by the Sognefjord, Sogndal Lufthamn Haukåsen is located about 20 minutes from the center of Sogndal. Take the flight with Widerøe from Bergen Airport Flesland or Oslo Gardermoen to Sogndal airport Haukåsen. Book flights here
Travel from Oslo
When you travel from Oslo, you can get to the Sognefjord from several mountain passes such as via Hemsedal and Filefjell mountain, from Hol - Aurland and in the summer you can drive over the beautiful Sognefjellet mountain via Otta.
Distance by car
- Rv 52 – Gol over Hemsedalsfjellet mountain to Lærdal: 115 km – approx. 1 hour 50 minutes
- E16 – Fagernes over Filefjell mountain to Lærdal – 137 km – approx. 2 hours
- Rv 53 Via Tyin to Årdal – 36.4 km – approx. 37 minutes
- Rv 15 from Otta over Sognefjellet mountain to Skjolden: 150 km – 2 hours 36 minutes
- Fv 50 from Hol to Aurland – 92 km – 1 hour 37 minutes
Travel from Bergen
Distance by car
- Bergen E39 by ferry from Oppedal - Lavik to Høyanger: 165 km – 3 hours
- Bergen E16 and then Rv13 over Vikafjellet mountain and down to Vik: 170 km – 2 hours 40 minutes
- Bergen E16 via Voss, Gudvangen and Flåm: 167 km – 2 hours – 39 minutes
If you drive an electric car, it is important that you check where the charging stations are in the area
When you arrive Sognefjord, you must cross the fjord with a ferry, check timetables here
Check the Statens Vegvesen website for information on mountain crossings.