Several Viking finds in the Hafrsfjord area
Along the entire Hafrsjord area, several findings have been made proving the existence of boathouses from prehistoric times. One of these is located at Sør-Sunde. The boathouse that stood there had been in use for a long time, right from 300 AD. to the early Middle Ages. It is possible to see the size of the boathouse - 20 meters long and seven meters wide. In the '70s, archaeological investigations were made in the boathouse, where they found ceramics, wooden bowls, fragments from soapstone containers, fishing hooks, knives, nails and glass beads.
A tomb was found on the farm Gausel in 1883 when the farm owner was clearing stones. Under a pile of stones, he found a stone chamber with several objects, some in noble metals. Later they found out that the grave was a woman's grave from the ninth century, and because of what was found of objects there, it tells us that she belonged to the upper strata of society. Based on this, the woman was called "Gauseldronninga" (the queen of Gausel). They found objects such as costume buckles of silver and bronze, silver buckles, bracelets in silver, ring in jet (gemstone), pearls of mosaic, glass or stone, knives, frying pan, remains of a bronze container with lion's head-shaped handle attachments, bronze needle and horse teeth.
At Ullandhaug, there are six large stones that are the stones from the Haraldstårnet tower. The stones were erected in 1896. The stones are between 82 and 140 cm high, and 10 small ones that are 52 cm high. On each stone, there is an inscription. During World War II, the Germans rebuilt the tower into an air defence battery, but the stones were preserved. After the current Ullandhaug tower was built, the stones were placed in the area outside.
At the Museum of Archaeology in Stavanger, there are two stone crosses from the early Middle Ages. It is the memorial cross over Erling Skjalgsson with the inscription: "Alfgeir the priest raised this stone in honour of Erling his master, who was betrayed in the battle against Olav". The cross was thus erected after Erling was killed by Olav Haraldsson's men in the battle of Soknasundet on 21 December 1028. There is also a copy of the cross in the centre of Sola. In the garden of the museum are also the remains of a stone cross that has been found at Tjelta in Sola. It was probably once raised at the burial mound Ormhaug.