The area is easy to get to by air, sea or land. There are lots of places to visit and hidden gems to discover while you’re here. Ålesund is a hub for large parts of Sunnmøre and there are plenty of good travel options. Several companies hire out cars, buses, boats and bikes.
The travel planner – find your favourite activities and plan your trip
Whether you know what you’re looking for or need a little inspiration, the travel planner is a good place to start. It provides tips and ideas, and you can see the distance and how long it takes to travel between places and activities. Travel times are based on travelling by car.
Many roads lead to Ålesund & Sunnmøre, and getting there is a beautiful and eventful experience in itself. Here are a few tips for the road:
- Most ferries operate a frequent service, but check timetables at www.frammr.no
- If you’re driving an electric car, you’ll need information about charging points etc.
- Information about the closure of roads and mountain passes during winter is available from the Norwegian Public Roads Administration
- Useful information when you’re travelling by car or motorhome, e.g. toll booths, waste disposal sites, laws and regulations etc.
From Oslo follow the E6 to Dombås, and then the E136 through Romsdalen to Åndalsnes. Alternatively, take the E6 to Otta and then continue on the RV15 over Strynefjellet mountain to Stryn and on to Ålesund, or take the FV63 from Grotli to Geiranger.
From Trondheim take the E39 via Orkanger to Ålesund. Alternatively, take the E6 to Dombås, and then the E136 through Romsdalen.
From Bergen there are several routes you can take. The E39 is the main road between the fjords. Alternatively, follow the E39 to Byrkjelo and then the RV60 past Olden and Stryn towards Ålesund.
By bus and public transport
There is a good express bus service throughout the region, with good connections to and from Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim. The FRAM Ekspress also operates regular services between Volda, Ørsta, Ålesund, Molde and Kristiansund.
Information about bus timetables:
- FRAM public transport in Møre og Romsdal: www.frammr.no
- FRAM timetable information, call 712 80 100/177
- You can find the FRAM app in Appstore and Google Play
- ‘Travel like the locals’ are package tours that use scheduled bus services: www.tltl.no
- VY-buss operates services to several destinations, with departures both day and night www.vybuss.no
Buy a ticket before boarding
Everyone is encouraged to buy a ticket before travelling. You can pay with a bank card, use a travel card or register a ticket bought in the FRAM app or on the website by using the ticket reader at the front of the bus. You can use the En Tur or NOR-WAY travel planners for trips on public transport to and around Møre og Romsdal.
The Hurtigruten coastal express and Havila Voyages ships stop at Ålesund every day on both their northbound and southbound routes. The northbound route makes day trips toGeiranger and the Hjørundfjord, from June to August, and September to October, respectively.
Train to Åndalsnes from Oslo and Trondheim via Dombås. Bus connection on to/fromÅlesund. Find train times on the SJ website and bus connections with FRAM.
Ålesund Airport Vigra is situated around 20 minutes from the centre of Ålesund, and has a good range of domestic and international flights. Ørsta/Volda Airport Hovden also has good domestic flight connections. Book tickets from SAS, Widerøe, Norwegian, KLM, WizzAir. Airport bus: www.frammr.no