Ryfylke has many gateways. From Stavanger in the west, you can drive or take a bus through Ryfast, the world’s longest undersea road tunnel. You can also get to Ryfylke via Røldal in the north, Sirdal in the east and Lauvvik in the South.
To help you plan your trip along the Norwegian Scenic Route Ryfylke, we have gathered information about transport to and around the region.
Stavanger Airport Sola is the nearest airport to Ryfylke, offering direct flights from several destinations in Norway and abroad. There is also an airport in Haugesund.
To explore Ryfylke you can rent a car at the airport.
- Ca. 8 hours from Oslo to Stavanger.
- Ca. 3 hours from Kristiansand to Stavanger.
Several daily departures all year with Go Ahead Nordic.
- Ca. 4 hours along E39 to Stavanger. Follow the signs to Røldal, Rv 13, through Ryfast to Ryfylke (Solbakk).
- Ca. 5,5 hours along E39 to Stavanger. Follow the signs to Røldal, Rv 13, through Ryfast to Ryfylke (Solbakk). Car ferry between Mortavika and Arsvågen.
- Ca. 5 hours along E39 and E134, via Knapphus, to Suldal.
- Ca 3,5 hours along Fv 49 and Fv 7, via Odda, to Suldal. Car ferry between Tørvikbygd and Jondal.
- Ca. 2,5 hours along E39 to Stavanger. Follow the signs to Røldal, Rv 13, through Ryfast to Ryfylke (Solbakk). Car ferry between Mortavika and Arsvågen.
- Ca. 2 hours along E134, via Knapphus, to Røldal.
Follow Rv 13 from Røldal to Sand, and Rv 13 and Fv 520 to Sauda. You can also drive across Saudafjellet mountain (closed in winter) to Sauda.
- Ca. 20 minutes through Ryfast to Solbakk.
You can drive Fv 523 to Jørpeland, Preikestolen and Forsand in the south, or Rv 13 towards Tau, Hjelmeland, Sand and Sauda in the north and east.
- Ca. 20 minutes from Solbakk/Ryfast.
- Ca. 1 hour from Hjelmeland.
- Ca. 3 hours from Sauda. Car ferry between Nesvik and Hjelmeland.
- Ca. 2,5 hours from Sand. Car ferry between Nesvik and Hjelmeland.
- Ca. 1 hour from Sirdal.
- Ca. 2,5 hours from Solbakk, through Ryfast, via Sirdal.
Follow the signs to Lysebotn and drive Lysevegen road (closed in winter) over the mountains to Kjerag parking.
Remember to check the timetable if you plan to travel by boat on Lysefjorden to Flørli, Songesand or Forsand.
- Ca. 45 minutes from Årdal, Rv 13, across the mountain area "Lyngsheia", Fv 661.
Remember to check the timetable if you plan to travel by boat on Lysefjorden to Flørli, Lysebotn/Kjerag or Forsand.
Do you drive an electric car?
Car ferries from abroad
- Ca. 13,5 hours from Hirtshals (Denmark) to Risavika/Stavanger with Fjordline.
- Ca. 3 hours from Hirtshals (Denmark) to Kristiansand with Fjordline and Colorline.
- Ca. 18 hours Eemshaven (the Netherlands) – Kristiansand with Holland Norway Lines.
The combi ferry at Lysefjorden
- Ca. 1,5 hours between Lauvvik and Lysebotn. Express boat for both passengers and cars. Arrival at Lauvvik, Oanes, Bratteli, Bakken, Songesand, Kallali, Flørli, Håheller and Lysebotn. You have to book tickets in advance at Kolumbus.
Car ferries in Ryfylke
- Ca. 10 minutes between Hjelmeland and Nesvik with Norled. No booking in advance.
- Ca. 10 minutes between Lauvvik and Oanes with Fartøysdrift AS. No booking in advance.
Express boats in Ryfylke
- The express boat "Ryfylkeferjen" from Stavanger takes you to several places in Ryfylke, like Suldal, Tau, Fister, Hjelmeland, Jelsa, Hebnes, Sand and Sauda.
Kolumbus has several express boats in Ryfylke. Their travel planner makes it easier to travel like the locals. Click here for timetables and tickets.
- Ca. 5,5 hours from Oslo to Røldal with Haukeliekspressen.
- Ca. 4 hours from Kristiansand to Stavanger with Lavprisekspressen.
- Ca. 9 hours from Oslo to Stavanger with Lavprisekspressen.
- Ca. 5 hours from Bergen to Stavanger with Kystbussen.
You can take a local bus with Kolumbus from Stavanger and Røldal to Ryfylke.
- Ca. 1,5 hours from Sandnes with Boreal/Pulpit Rock Tours.
- Ca. 1 hour from Stavanger with Boreal/Pulpit Rock Tours and Tide/Go Fjords.
- Ca. 2,5 hours from Stavanger with Tide/Go Fjords.
To and around Ryfylke
- Ca. 30 minutt with local bus number 100 from Stavanger to Solbakk (Ryfylke). Daily bus departures from Solbakk to Jørpeland, Tau, Forsand and Hjelmeland.
- Ca. 1 hour between Sand and Sauda. Daily bus departures.
Kolumbus has several bus routes in Ryfylke. Their travel planner makes it easier to travel like the locals. Click here for timetables and tickets.