Kvitsøy lighthouse was built in 1829. Tt was then 18 metre-high with a coal burner on top. In 1859, the tower was raised by a further 7 m and equipped with an oil-fired flame and a lens system. The top of the lighthouse is now 45 m above sea level. In 1938, the lighthouse was electrified, and in 1969, automated. The lighthouse is heritage-listed. The history of the tilting lighthouse Kvitsøy lighthouse has, however, a history dating back to the year 1700 when Henrich Petersen set up a so-called bascule lighthouse in Ydstebøhavn. The lighthouse consisted of a mast that had a cross rocker mounted. At the end of it was attached a "fire pan" filled with burning coal and hung 6 m above the ground. In 2005, a model of the bascule lighthouse came into place next to the existing lighthouse, and was inaugurated with a great marking as Kvitsøy's millennium square. A hiking trail leads up to the lighthouse from Ydstebøhavn and continues out towards the sea in the west. 

  • Facebook logo

Contact

Address:
  • Fv. 551 23
  • 4180 KVITSØY
Phone:
977 25 677
Email:
Website:
www.kvitsoy.kommune.no/innhold/kultur/kvitsoy-fyr/kvitsoy-fyr/

Facilities

Parking:
Family-friendly:
Season:
  • Autumn
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Winter

Where is Kvitsøy lighthouse?

Fjord Norway's secondary logo