The lighthouse was built after a disastrous accident in March 1869, where 18 fishermen from the area drowned in a storm. Ulla was a large and thriving fishing village at that time, and at the end of the 19th century about 1000 fishermen stayed here.

In 1944 the area was bombed by Allied airplanes, and both the lighthouse and the watcher's house burned down. In 1950 the buildings were reconstructed, and Ulla Lighthouse was manned until 1975, when it was automated and deserted.

In 1999 the lighthouse was declared a listed building, along with eight other lighthouses in the region, and is currently rented by the Norwegian Ministry of Defence. Ulla has a very rough climate, but can still present a range of rare and beautiful flowers, for instance orchids.

Contact

Address:
  • 6290 Haramsøy
Phone:
Email:
Website:
www.ullafyr.com

Facilities

Parking:
Family-friendly:
Disabled-accessible:

Where is Ulla Lighthouse?