The medieval part of the church is from around the year 1250. There are many indications that the church was not only built for worship, but also for defense - a place to resort to when there was war and unrest in Norway. Originally, the church was a rectangular long church with nave and chancel in the same width. The eastern gable wall had two pointed arched windows with rich ornamentation in soapstone. A lightning struck the church in 1814 and 1819, which caused great damage to the masonry in the eastern gable. In 1829, there was a big flood in the Ogna river that went under the church walls and the east gable saw a lot of damage. For several years, there were such floods from the river, which led to the east gable falling down in 1839. The church was then expanded with a timbered choir and a new roof. At the same time, the church got a built bell tower and armory. The medieval part that is still the main part of the church is the "long church" from 1250 with the four corners in soapstone, the magnificent and richly ornamented west portal in soapstone, baptismal font and altar table in soapstone. The church was also completely damaged in a fire in 1991, and then rebuilt. The rebuilt church was designed by civil architects Torsvik and Thesen. Ogna church currently has around 280 seats. The altarpiece and pulpit are exact copies of those who were completely damaged in the fire. The nave that hangs down from the roof is a command ship from approx. year 1800. The stained glass window in the east gable is made by the artist Harald Stokkeland. The church organ has 17 voices and was built by Bruhn & Søn, Denmark.