By planting solitary pansies at the sites of homophobic and transphobic attacks, Harfleet creates a unique visual dialogue that marks the site-specific personal histories of abuse suffered by the LGBTQ+ community. This time, he chose to paint the flowers.
This simple act challenges the viewer and puts forth flora as an act of rebellion, showing solidarity with those affected by violence and opening up a space for discussion and growth.
- Title: Beaten – The Pansy Project
- Creator: Paul Harfleet
- Date Created: September 2019
- Location Created: Domkirkeplassen, Stavanger
- Type: Painting
- Rights: Nuart Festival, Paul Harfleet
- Medium: Paint
- Art Genre: Progressive / Still life
- Art Movement: Street Art
- Art Form: Painting
- Support: Wall
- Depicted Location: Domkirkeplassen