The hike to Rørsethornet (659 masl.) will make your heart beat raise and for sure take your breath away. On this trip is an advatage to be comfortable with heights. When reacheing the top you will have the most amazing 360-degree view of the horizon, fjords and sourrounding mountains. Seeing the sunset ,as well as the sunrise, from Rørsethornet are two other amazing experiences. Along the stairs you will find picnic areas and viewpoints, one of them is Sherpanakken. In addition you can also hike from Rørsethornet to Ræstadhornet to make the trip even longer. The path is marked and there is a spacious parking lot at the end of the stairway in Råkvåg.
- For further route descriptions see the English edition of: De beste turene i Midsund
Parking and bus
Park by RV RV668 un Rakvåg at the north side of the Island, and follow the signposted stone path from there. It is an open ridge from Rørsethornet (659 masl.) over to Ræstadhornet.
If you prefer to travel bu bus check out Bus to hike here
Learn about the Midsund stairs
The Midsund stairs consist of four hiking trails where parts of the trails are facilitated with stone steps by Sherpas from Nepal - an impressive work is a visit worhty. In addition you get a fantastic view to the mountains, fjord and sea.
- Rørsethornet (659 masl) - Norway's longest continuous stone staircase with 3200 steps
- Digergubben (527 masl) and Midsundhornet (483 masl)
- Bløkallen (522 masl) - perhaps the nicest trip along the old Kløvstien
- Aksla (110 masl) and and Akslahornet (411 masl) - the shortest trip to the viewpoint Aksla, challenging on to Akslahornet.